Re: SOLVED: RE: Garbled audio - Windows 7 64 bit guest on Debian

Jimmy Crossley <jcrossley <at> CoNetrix.com> writes:

> [...]
On Behalf Of Jimmy Crossley
> > Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 17:29
> > Subject: Garbled audio - Windows 7 64 bit guest on Debian
> >
> > I am experiencing garbled sound on a Windows 7 64 bit guest running under 64
bit Debian.  I have
> > searched many discussion groups, etc. on the net and could find nothing
useful, so I thought I would
> > post this here, hoping someone with a deeper understanding could help out.

** <snip>

> > If I connect to the machine using remote desktop (mstsc.exe, rdesktop,
xfreerdp), the sound gets
> > redirected to the local machine and sounds perfect.  The sound is only
garbled when using SDL.  The
> > same audio problems exist if I start up the machine and connect to it with
vnc.

> I have mostly solved this issue.  The sound works much, much, better, but is
still not as good as on my host machine.

> I installed PulseAudio and used it instead of ALSA.  In order to get kvm to
use it, I set the environment
> variable QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa.  I had been using sudo to start the VM, and that
kept this environment
> variable from being used.  I did a "sudo setcap cap_net_admin+ep /usr/bin/kvm"
in order to be able to run
> kvm under a normal user account.  Now the sound works quite well.

i've pretty much nearly duplicated this setup (gentoo host, qemu-kvm 1.2.1,
pulseaudio, sdl, emulated hda audio, windows 7 64bit sp1 guest) due to the same
reasons and the same result.  however, as jcrossley mentioned, it's not as crisp
as the host; there's a lot of crackling and popping still.

based on jcrossley's investigation using rdp instead (and seeing no ill effects
wrt sound), wouldn't the issue be pointed at the hda emulation?

how would one go about getting involved in terms of helping out w/ the hda
emulator?