Hardwre for KVM host

Hey all,

at the moment I am looking for hardware for a KVM host, but on a few points I realy have problems to get a good hardware setup.

My situation is the following: I need a server with minimal energy consumption, the ability of PCI Passtrough (so IOMMU is needed) and good support for Nested Virtualization (KVM, Xen and VMWare)

So when I understood everything right I need a CPU and chipset on the board which supports IOMMU, which consumer boards do and which of them works fine with KVM?

For the nested virtualization theme I read that EPTs in case of Intel and RVI in case of AMD is needed. Also I read that the AMD RVI would be better than the EPTs of Intel and bring a good speedup, wikipedia mentions a VMWare research whitepaper and Red Hat tests (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_Virtualization_Indexing). Also it seems that the implementation of Nested Virualization is easier with the AMD RVIs than with the Intel EPTs. So which CPU with which chipset (baord) should i prefer to get this features.

For the RAM I thought about 32GB because my experiences show that virtualization needs much RAM, would that be a good value for RAM when the VM host runs a few VMs with simple server services like (HTTP, SMTP etc.)?

I want to run VMs with much I/O so I'm thinking about the hardware setup. I want to have a few TB of space so for example 4 3TB hard disks in RAID5, all virtualization solutions (Xen, VMWare) recommand hardware RAID. I also would prefer hardware RAID but would software RAID decrease the I/O performance very much? And would it be a difference to take software RAID with mdadm (for example on ext4 filesystem) or native RAID support like in BTRFS?

Which modern hardware RAID controllers would be fully supported by linux and are there recommandations for a special interface (S-ATA, SAS etc.)?

I don't have that much experiences with KVM-over-IP managment but I want to start using it. Are there special conditions which must be fulfilled by the board or operation system? And does someone here have experiences with KVM-over-IP managment and can recommand adapters or cards?

To say something about the price I targeting: It would be greate to have costs between 800 and 1400€ for the host system without the costs of the KVM-over-IP console. When the price would be higher it would be ok when it don't is greater than 2500€

Best Regards