Re: Reset problem vs. MMIO emulation, hypercalls, etc...

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 12:00 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > So we'll need to test but it looks like we might be able to fix our
> > problem without a kernel or API change, just by changing qemu to
> > do the same exit_request trick for our reboot hypercall.
> >
> > Long run however, I wonder whether we should consider an explicit ioctl
> > to complete those pending operations instead...
>
> It's pointless.  We have to support the old method forever.  There's no
> material different between sigqueue() + KVM_RUN and KVM_COMPLETE, or a
> KVM_RUN with a flag that tells it to exit immediately.

Sort-of... in fact, I would say after more thoughts that the real reason
to leave things as-is is that we actually need a clean restartable state
for migration, and an ioctl for "aborting" transactions wouldn't
complete them properly, which is fine for reset but not for migration or
snapshots.

Cheers,
Ben.