Re: Reset problem vs. MMIO emulation, hypercalls, etc...

On 08/01/2012 06:17 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Hi Avi !
>
> We identified a problem on powerpc which seems to actually be a generic
> issue, and Alex suggested we propose a generic fix. I want to make sure
> we are on the right track first before proposing an actual patch as we
> would like the patch to go in ASAP (ie not waiting the next merge
> window) as it will fix an actual nasty bug with reset in KVM.
>
> So the basic issue has to do with doing a machine reset as a result of a
> hypervisor call, but the same problem should happen with MMIO/PIO
> emulation.
>
> After we do an exit as a result of such an operation, at the next
> KVM_RUN, KVM will fetch the "results" of the operation (in the hypercall
> case that's a bunch of register values, in the MMIO read emulation case
> it's a single register value usually, x86 might have more subtle cases)
> and we update the VCPU state (ie. registers) with that data.
>
> However, what happens is that if a reset happens in between, we end up
> clobbering the reset state.
>
> IE. What happens in qemu is roughtly:
>
>  - The hcall or MMIO that triggers the reset happens, goes to qemu,
> which eventually calls qemu_system_reset_request()
>
>  - This sets the global reset pending flag and wakes up the main loop.
> It also does a stop of the current vcpu, so we do not return to the
> kernel at this stage.
>
>  - The main loop gets the flag, starts the reset process, which begins
> with stopping all the VCPUs.
>
>  - The reset handlers are called, which includes resetting the CPU
> state, which in our case (powerpc) results in a SET_REGS ioctl to
> establish a new fresh state for booting.
>
>  - The generic code then restarts all VCPUs, which then return into
> VCPU_RUN.
>
>  - The VCPU(s) that did an exit as a result of MMIO emulation,
> hypercall, or similiar (typically the one that triggered the reset but
> possibly others) then gets some of their register state "updated" by the
> result of the operation (in the hcall case, it's a field in the mmap'ed
> run structure that clobbers GPR3 among others).
>
> Now this is generally not a big issue as -usually- machines don't care
> much about the state of registers on reset.

This is actually documented in api.txt, though not in relation to reset:

  NOTE: For KVM_EXIT_IO, KVM_EXIT_MMIO and KVM_EXIT_OSI, the
  corresponding operations are complete (and guest state is consistent)
  only after userspace has re-entered the kernel with KVM_RUN.  The
  kernel side will first finish incomplete operations and then check
  for pending signals.  Userspace can re-enter the guest with an
  unmasked signal pending to complete pending operations.

For x86 the issue was with live migration - you can't copy guest
register state in the middle of an I/O operation.  Reset is actually
similar, but it involves writing state (which can then be overwritten)
instead of reading it.