Re: KVM: MMU: Tracking guest writes through EPT entries ?

On 07/31/2012 01:18 AM, Sunil wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am a KVM newbie and studying KVM mmu code.
>
> On the existing guest, I am trying to track all guest writes by
> marking page table entry as read-only in EPT entry [ I am using Intel
> machine with vmx and ept support ]. Looks like EPT support re-uses
> shadow page table(SPT) code and hence some of SPT routines.
>
> I was thinking of below possible approach. Use pte_list_walk() to
> traverse through list of sptes and use mmu_spte_update()  to flip the
> PT_WRITABLE_MASK flag. But all SPTEs are not part of any single list;
> but on separate lists (based on gfn, page level, memory_slot). So,
> recording all the faulted guest GFN and then using above method work ?

There are two ways to write-protect all sptes:
- use kvm_mmu_slot_remove_write_access() on all memslots
- walk the shadow page cache to get the shadow pages in the highest level
  (level = 4 on EPT), then write-protect its entries.

If you just want to do it for the specified gfn, you can use
rmap_write_protect().

Just inquisitive, what is your purpose? :)