Re: EuroSec'12 Presentation (ASLR reduces effect of KSM)

Marcelo,

From: Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: EuroSec'12 Presentation (ASLR reduces effect of KSM)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:47:47 -0300

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:24:57PM +0900, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:
> >
> > Dear,
> >
> > I made a presentation which measures OS security functions(ASLR,
> > Memory Santization, and Cache Page Flushing) on memory deduplication
> > "KSM with VKM" at EuroSec 2012.
> >
> > The titile is "Effects of Memory Randomization, Sanitization and Page
> > Cache on Memory Deduplication".
> > # This is one of papers related to my memory deduplication research.
> >
> > The slide is downloadable.
> >   http://www.slideshare.net/suzaki/eurosec2012-effects-of-memory-randomization-sanitization-and-page-cache-on-memory-deduplication-by-ksuzaki
> > The paper will be downloadable form ACM Digital Library.
> >
> > The results show ALSR reduces the effect of memory deduplciation.
> > Please tell me, if you have comments. Thank you.
> >
> > ------
> >   Kuniyasu Suzaki, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology,
> >   http://staff.aist.go.jp/k.suzaki
>
> Very nice. ALSR is supposed to increase the number of unshared pages
> because translation tables that contain addresses of symbols will
> differ for every instance of an executable.

Thank you for good suggestion.
Anyway, how much the size of translation tables?
In our experience, ALSR on 4 GuestOS (Linux) increased the memory consumption more than 50MB.
Does the translation table in a linux take more than 10MB?

> Can you share additional information about "HICAMP (hardware memory
> deduplication)" ?

The detail of HICAMP was presented at ASPLOS 2011.
 ASPLOS 2011 paper http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2151007&preflayout=tabs

------
suzaki