Re: Nested virtualization on Intel does not work - second level freezes when third level is starting

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 23:14:07 schrieb Kashyap Chamarthy:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Guido Winkelmann
> <guido-kvml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Here is my complete notes on nested virtualization w/ Intel  --
> http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/nested-virtualization-with-kvm-inte
> l/

I had already found you blog post via Google :). In fact, I used some of the
things you wrote for setting up my system, in the hopes that I would have more
luck.

BTW, the line for modprobe.d/dist.conf should read

options kvm_intel nested=1

In your blog post, the "options" keyword is missing.

> My result: I was able to ssh into the nested guest (guest installed
> inside the regular guest),  but, after a reboot, the nested-guest
> loses the IP rendering it inaccessible.(Info: the regular-guest has a
> bridged IP, and nested-guest has a NATed IP)
>
> Refer the comments in the above post for some more discussion. Though
> I haven't tried the suggestion of  'updating your system firmware and
> disabling VT for Direct I/O Access if you are able in the firmware' .
> And I wonder how does turning it off can alleviate the prob.

Yeah, I've seen that comment, that was what prompted me to update the server's
firmware. The Dell BIOS does not offer the option to disable VT for Direct I/O
Access, though.

> And my AMD notes  is here(which was completely successful) --
> http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/nested-virtualization-with-kvm-and-
> amd/

Unfortunately, AMD is not an option for me, at least not in this particular
context.

	Guido