Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] kvm tools, seabios: Add "--bios" option to "vm run"

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Then make kvm-tool set it. Why do you need coreboot/seabios for that?

First thing we looked at. For a number of reasons it seems ugly.
Either we can pick a bunch of fixed base addresses for the kvm-tool
resources, and track them all as new devices are added to kvm-tool
over time (yuck), or we can replicate some of the pci BAR code in
kvm-tool that already exists in seabios/coreboot, which also seems
yucky.

kvm-tool provides a more realistic environment in some ways for guests
than qemu. Less is initialized. Given that coreboot does the things we
need done, and it's easy to build, I don't see a reason not to use it.

Of course due to the ongoing ld alignment bug issue, I can't build
seabios to test this idea, so have not. If I had time I'd put in a
patch to seabios to not depend on this feature, since it's broken on
every linux system I own, but ...

ron