Re: Is it possible to have SDL without X?

On 11/29/2011 9:29 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
Hello,

Can a guest with SDL graphics run on a host without X? I get an error:
"init kbd.
Could not initialize SDL - exiting"

The above happens on a host with X after running "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" and "chmod -R 777 /dev".
If I don't do the chmod, SDL complains about not being able to open the framebuffer and exits.

The host is Debian Squeeze with the standard qemu-kvm package in their repository (version 0.12.5).
The guest xml does not specify a keyboard device.
The same guest runs fine under X.

If there is any other information that could be useful, I will be very happy to provide it.
If this is not the right place for such questions, apologies, please let me know what the right place is.

The qemu list might be better since that code all originated there. What exactly are you trying to achieve? It sounds like you are trying to get the guest to display on a Linux console via sdl. From what I understand that's going to be severely limited functionality wise.

Thanks!
Richard