Any problem if I use ionice on KVM?

I keep running into a situation where a KVM guest will lock up on some
kind of disk process it seems. System load goes way up but cpu % is
relatively low based on a crond script collecting data before
everything goes south. As a result, the host becoming unresponsive as
well. Initially it appeared to be due to a routine maintenance script
which I resolved with a combination of noatime and ionice on the
script.

However, now it appears that some other event/process is also cause a
lock up at random points in time. It's practically impossible (or I'm
too noob) to troubleshoot and figure out what exactly is causing this.

So I'm wondering if it's safe to run ionice on the KVM process so that
a runaway guest will not pull down the host with it. Which would
perhaps in some ways allow me to try to figure out what is going on.