From: kvm-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kvm-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Flypen CloudMe
Sent: Tuesday, 14 June, 2011 01:11
To: Alex Williamson
Cc: kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Why doesn't Intel e1000 NIC work correctly in Windows XP?

Hi,

I use Redhat Enterprise Linux 6, and use the KVM that is released by Redhat officially. The kernel version is 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64.

It seems that the IRQs are conflicted after reboot. The NIC and the SCSI controller have the same IRQ number. If I re-install the NIC driver, the IRQ number of the NIC will be assigned another value, then it can work normally. Do we have a way to let the NIC and the SCSI controller have different IRQ number in VM?

Thanks,
flypen

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Flypen CloudMe <flypen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > My Linux kernel is 2.6.32, and my machine has an Intel e1000 1Gbps
> > NIC. The Guest OS is Windows XP. I use PCI passthrough to pass the
> > e1000 NIC to the VM, so Windows XP can directly use this physical
> > NIC and should has higher performance.
> >
> > I successfully install Intel PRO/1000 PT driver in XP. Then the NIC
> > can work, and the performance is not bad (about 700Mbps). However,
> > if I reboot XP, the strange thing happens. Just after reboot, the
> > NIC can be used. But if I run some other programs with some IO
> > traffic, no data can be transferred via this NIC from then on. There
> > are no abnormal information in Windows event logs, and there are no
> > warnings or errors for Intel PRO/1000 PT driver in Windows device
> > manager. I can't ping the VM from any machines. Why doesn't Intel
> > e1000 NIC work correctly after reboot?
> >
> > Another strange thing. If I re-install PRO/1000 PT driver, the NIC
> > can be used again. No matter what applications I run in Guest OS,
> > the NIC can work well as long as I don't reboot it. But after I
> > reboot the Guest OS, I must re-install the NIC driver each time,
> > otherwise the NIC can't work.
> >
> > Who knows the reason of this strange behavior for e1000 NIC in KVM
> > Windows environment? Is it driver related? I also use Linux as the
> > Guest OS, everything is well even I reboot the VM many times.
>
> What version of kvm are you using?  Thanks,
>
> Alex

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the foregoing.