How is irq delivered in kvm?

Hi,

I have a specialized e1000 device driver that expects to receive a
single frame per interrupt, no more. It's by design and very hard to
change (and it does not serve IP traffic). -net socket or tap can
sometimes deliver more than one frame in a row and blow up the driver
in turn. I'd like to experiment with tap/socket to only call
qemu_send_packet..() once and leave pending frames in queue until next
time, with hope that guest will have time to process the frame.

The problem is I'm new to kvm and not sure how the main loop is run.
Will there be guest execution time between two tap/socket polls, how
long is it? Or is guest run in parallel with the event loop and
qemu_set_irq() somehow signals guest immediately?
--
Duy