Re: KVM call minutes for Feb 1

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 06:34:50PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-02-01 18:20, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> >> Looks like it's around signalfd and its emulation:
> >>

> > I really meant the compatfd thing.
> >
> > signalfd can't really be emulated properly so in upstream we switched to
> > a pipe() which Avi didn't like.
> >
> > But with glib, this all goes away anyway so we should just drop the
> > qemu-kvm changes and use the upstream version.  Once we enable I/O
> > thread in qemu.git, we no longer need to use signals for I/O completion
> > which I think everyone would agree is a better solution.
> Don't understand: If we do not need SIGIO for AIO emulation in threaded
> mode, why wasn't that stubbed out already? If that helps reducing
> worries about the signalfd emulation (which is likely a non-issue anyway
> as anyone with serious workload should run a kernel with such support).

qemu-kvm has this modification for performance reasons.
SIGUSR2 can't be blocked otherwise. See example test case at
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/20817/.

Problem is that you can't block the AIO signal and process it via
signalfd because of synchronous IO emulation:

- submit io
- qemu_aio_wait

Since the aio signal is processed in main_loop_wait by the iothread, the
above deadlocks. To be more clear:

SIGUSR2 unblocked:
signal -> aio_signal_handler -> write(posix_fd)

SIGUSR2 blocked:
signal -> signalfd -> aio_signal_handler -> write(posix_fd)

It would be good to maintain this behaviour upstream, before switching
(can be selective on CONFIG_IOTHREAD), IMO.