Re: KVM on old kernels pre-2.6.28

On 01/26/2011 06:51 PM, Asdo wrote:
Some time ago in this list it was mentioned that old kernels pre-2.6.28
don't work well with KVM.
(in particular we have a machine with 2.6.24)

pre 2.6.27 kernels don't have mmu notifiers and thus don't handle overcommit well. No idea if there's anything wrong with 2.6.27 itself.

Unfortunately the type of problem was not mentioned in the posts I could
find. Is that a performance problem, a stability problem, or a data
corruption problem... ?

And I would also like to know if the "problem" can be worked around by
installing a new kvm-kmod like 2.6.36.2  or we really need to upgrade
the whole kernel to get rid of it.

The mmu notifier issue requires 2.6.27 or above. Using kvm-kmod allows you to run a newer kvm on an older kernel, but doesn't fix infrastructure issues like I mentioned.

(I was thinking at installing a new qemu-kvm like the 0.12.5 on that)

0.12.5 is already old. But why are you running such old and unsupported kernels? I recommend either running a distribution kernel, where someone takes care of bug fixes and security updates, or running one of the stable tree kernels.