Re: [RFT] IRQ sharing for assigned devices - method selection

On 01/07/2011 09:03 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>  So, if you have a good high-bandwidth test case at hand, I would
>>  appreciate if you could give this a try and report your findings. Does
>>  switching from exclusive to shared IRQ mode decrease the throughput or
>>  increase the host load? Is there a difference to current kvm?
>
>  I think any sufficiently high bandwidth device will be using MSI and or
>  NAPI, so I wouldn't expect we're going to see much change there.

That's also why I'm no longer sure it's worth to worry about irq_disable
vs. PCI disable. Anyone who cares about performance in a large
pass-through scenario will try to use MSI-capable hardware anyway (or
was so far unable to use tons of legacy IRQ driven devices due to IRQ
conflicts).

PCI disable is probably only ridiculously slow with cf8/cfc config space access, and significantly faster (though still slow) with mmconfig. Needs to be taken into account as well.