[ kvm-Bugs-2314737 ] 100% host CPU usage with Win2k guest

Bugs item #2314737, was opened at 2008-11-19 13:53
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jessorensen
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2314737&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: amd
Group: None

Initial Comment:
After installing Windows 2000 guest with sp4 all seems work fine. But after short time Windows download a large pack of updates (about 68), when I installed this updates and rebooted guest host CPU utilization rised to 100% even if guest is idle. Before installing updates this problem was not observed. I trying with two Win2k installation with the same results. Host CPU utilization is equal to number of vCPUs, for example with -smp 2 host CPU usage is 200%.

Host:
2x Quad Core Opteron 8356
64GB RAM
OS: Gentoo 64bit
kernel: 2.6.25
KVM-78 (modules from package not from kernel)

Guest:
Windows 2000 sp4 32bit started with command:

kvm -M pc -m 2048 -smp 2 -name Win200032sp4 -monitor pty -localtime -boot d -drive file=/dev/MDvg_InstallVM/Win200032sp4,if=ide,index=0 -drive file=/mnt/MD_isos/Windows32/pl_win2000_pro_win2000_server.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=2 -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:44:b2:45,vlan=0,model=virtio -net tap,fd=44,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet9

On the guest was installed virtio net driver.
On the same host I running several other guests systems including Win2003 Server sp2 32bit, WinXP sp2 32bit and Linux Gentoo 64bit without problem like this.

Date: 2011-01-07 15:48

Message:
Hi,

Do you still see this problem? If so, would you mind opening a bug about
it over at launchpad.net?

Thanks,
Jes

Comment By: Kevin Shanahan (kmshanah)
Date: 2009-07-21 08:46

Message:
I spent a whole lot of time today trying to work out which patch causes the
host CPU usage to peg at 100% (even though the guest task manager shows
everything is idle). As the original poster says, a clean install of
Windows 2000 and up to service pack 4 works fine.

As soon as I installed "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861)",
the host CPU usage problem starts. I can uninstall the rollup package and
the problem goes away again.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891861

I tried going through all the individual updates that are supposed to be
included in the rollup (listed on the KB page above), but installing them
individually never made the issue come up. So it must be something else
that is included in the rollup package but not documented I guess...
something which modifies the method the OS uses for idling? FWIW, whatever
is causing the host CPU usage to go so high does not cause the CPUs to get
hot. They remain cool as if they were idle.

This test was done on a dual Intel Xeon 5130 machine with 32GB RAM. Linux
kernel 2.6.30, kvm-86.

/usr/local/kvm/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -smp 2 \
    -localtime -m 2048 \
    -drive if=ide,index=0,media=disk,file=disk1.img,boot=on \
    -drive if=ide,index=1,media=cdrom \
    -drive if=ide,index=2,media=disk,file=disk2.img \
    -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:6A,model=virtio \
    -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap20,script=no \
    -vnc 127.0.0.1:20 \
    -usbdevice tablet \
    -daemonize

Comment By: Kevin Shanahan (kmshanah)
Date: 2009-02-22 12:29

Message:
Just confirming that the problem is still present with kvm-84 (on Linux
2.6.28.7).

Comment By: Kevin Shanahan (kmshanah)
Date: 2009-01-19 10:05

Message:
Roy, you didn't say whether you have fully patched your install with all
the post-sp4 updates. As the original reported said, the host CPU usage
problem doesn't occur until after the post-sp4 updates have been applied.

Comment By: roy anonymous (roy-anonymous)