Re: [RFC 0/4] KVM in-kernel PM Timer implementation

On 12/14/2010 12:00 PM, David S. Ahern wrote:

On 12/14/10 08:29, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I recently used to investigate the performance benefit. In a Linux
guest, I was running a program that calls gettimeofday() 'n' times
in a loop (the PM Timer register is read during each call). With
in-kernel PM Timer, I observed a significant reduction of program
execution time.

I've played with this in the past.  Can you post real numbers,
preferably, with a real work load?
2 years ago I posted relative comparisons of the time sources for older
RHEL guests:
http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg07231.html

Any time you write a program in userspace that effectively equates to a single PIO operation that is easy to emulate, it's going to be remarkably faster to implement that PIO emulation in the kernel than in userspace because vmexit exit cost dominates the execution path.

But that doesn't tell you what the impact is in real world workloads. Before we start pushing all device emulation into the kernel, we need to quantify how often gettimeofday() is really called in real workloads.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

What's the relative speed of the in-kernel pmtimer compared to the PIT?

David