Re: USB Passthrough 1.1 performance problem...

Am 12.12.2010 23:31, Erik Brakkee wrote:

>>> I can say now that I am giving up on getting this to work. One
>>> alternative was to use PCI passthrough the USB hardware,  but that
>>> didn't work for the USB that was on the motherboard. So I bought a USB
>>> PCI card and tried to use PCI passthrough for that. Unfortunately other
>>> problems occured there.
>>>
>>> For one, the problem with 4K alignment. But I could fix that by using
>>> the pci=resource_alignment=... kernel parameter. In my grub/menu.lst it
>>> says:
>>>
>>>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-default root=/dev/hsystem/root quiet
>>>     showopts intel_iommu=on
>>>     pci=resource_alignment=01:04.0;01:04.1;01:04.2 noirqdebug vga=0x31a
>>>

>>> The noirqdebug flas was needed to avoid the host from disabling the IRQ
>>> (it was a shared IRQ).
>>>
>>> Using this, I could configure PCI passthrough and start the VM. Also the
>>> USB device showed up there. Only it did not work at all.
>>>
>>> Here is a summary of my journey up until know:
>>>
>>> The original approach I wanted to use was to pass my old PCI card (WinTV
>>> PVR-500) to a VM. This card is a well supported card and has been doing
>>> fine for me. Because of the PCI passthrough problems with the wintv
>>> card, I decided to try a USB card instead. This gave me a 'ctrl buffer
>>> too small' issue that I could solve by taking the source RPM for kvm and
>>> applying a known patch from red hat (increasing buffer size from 2048 to
>>> 8192). But then I got jerky video, probably due to USB 1.1 issues. To
>>> bypass these I could use PCI passthrough for USB. But with the PCI
>>> passthrough of this card I am again running into issues probably related
>>> to Shared IRQs. So, after all this I am back to square one.
>>>
>>> I have now modified my approach so instead of running a separate minimal
>>> host with my old server as a guest, I am now running the old server
>>> (same install) on the new hardware, using it as a host. I would
>>> definitely be interested in trying this out further in the future. I
>>> even tried Xen for a brief moment, only to realize that my host and
>>> guest felt slower (slower startup and execution) and much more difficult
>>> to handle.
>>>
>>>  From the experience of the last two days fulltime trying to get things
>>> working I can only conclude that the following two features would be
>>> really important to have:
>>>
>>>     * Extended PCI passthrough support
>>>           o shared IRQ support
>>>
>> Addressed by the series I sent out today.
>>
> Does this mean I have a chance now that PCI passthrough of my WinTV
> PVR-500 might work now?
> What version is this and where can I get this for opensuse?

Currently you have to clone my git trees [1, 2], then build and install
those to have the feature. Will take a while to see it in releases, and
after that also Opensuse packages.

Jan

[1] git://git.kiszka.org/linux-kvm.git queues/dev-assign
[2] git://git.kiszka.org/qemu-kvm.git queues/dev-assign