Re: KVM with hugepages generate huge load with two guests

On 11/21/2010 02:24 AM, Dmitry Golubev wrote:
Hi,

Seems that nobody is interested in this bug :(

It's because the information is somewhat confused. There's a way to prepare bug reports that gets developers competing to see who solves it first.

Anyway I wanted to add a bit more to this investigation.

Once I put "nohz=off highres=off clocksource=acpi_pm" in guest kernel
options, the guests started to behave better - they do not stay in the
slow state, but rather get there for some seconds (usually up to
minute, but sometimes 2-3 minutes) and then get out of it (this cycle
repeats once in a while - every approx 3-6 minutes). Once the
situation became stable, so that I am able to leave the guests without
very much worries, I also noticed that sometimes the predicted
swapping occurs, although rarely (I waited about half an hour to catch
the first swapping on the host). Here is a fragment of vmstat. Note
that when the first column shows 8-9 - the slowness and huge load
happens. You can also see how is appears and disappears (with nohz and
kvm-clock it did not go out of slowness period, but with tsc clock the
probability of getting out is significantly lower):

Are you sure it is hugepages related?

Can you post kvm_stat output while slowness is happening? 'perf top' on the host? and on the guest?