Re: Unable to start VM using COWed image

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Prasad Joshi
<P.G.Joshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Though specifying the absolute path for source image worked for me.
> Can any one please let me know the situation in which one would not want to specify the absolute path?
> How does relative path help?
> Advantage of using relative path rather than absolute path.
>
> I think using the absolute path would always work.

Relative paths are useful when sharing images with other people.  An
absolute path won't work on another machine unless you use the same
parent directory structure.  If you send me an image file with an
absolute path in your home directory, I won't be able to use it easily
on my machine.

(Actually the new qemu-img rebase -u command can be used to fix up the
image file on the destination machine but it's an extra step and not
user-friendly.)

Stefan