Re: upgrade kvm with running vm

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Teck Choon Giam
<giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 09.10.2010 03:36, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
>>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> []
>>> I am not sure about userspace wise.  In order to use different version
>>> of qemu-kvm, besides reboot... there is only one method to run
>>> different version such as upgraded version or downgraded version... is
>>> to shutdown all VMs and reload the kvm related kernel modules.
>>
>> Someone of us two does not understand something.
>>
>> Why are you reloading kernel module?  It comes with the kernel,
>> and if you reloading it, you're rebooting the host, no?  If yes,
>> why?
>
> I am not rebooting the server or host.  From my previous reply I
> believe I make myself clear that in order to use upgraded or
> downgraded
> qemu-kvm version, without rebooting the server (host) the only method
> is to shutdown all VMs and reload the kvm related modules.  If just
> restart all VMs will not run the upgraded/downgraded version of
> qemu-kvm without reboot the server (host) or reload kvm related
> modules.  This is from my person test experience with vanilla kernel
> 2.6.32.x.

I just tested and what you said is true for qemu-kvm version
upgrades/downgrades... there is no need to play with the kernel
modules.  Simply restart all VMs works!  Weird about my test
experience few weeks or months back though... ... :/

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon