Re: upgrade kvm with running vm

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 08.10.2010 08:07, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:43 PM,  <sofa5000@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> hi everybody,
>>>
>>> is it a problem to update kvm (the kvm package (qemu-kvm on debian) with
>>> the package manager) while some vms are turned on? or should i shutdown
>>> all vms first?
>
> If you update kvm userspace while some VMs are running, these
> VMs will not "pick" the new userspace, they will continue
> running by old userspace, until you restart them.  It's just
> the same as if you upgrade, say, your shell while it's running -
> new sessions will use new shell, alrady running will continue
> running using old shell.

I am not sure about userspace wise.  In order to use different version
of qemu-kvm, besides reboot... there is only one method to run
different version such as upgraded version or downgraded version... is
to shutdown all VMs and reload the kvm related kernel modules.

>> From personal experience (install from source), there shouldn't be a
>> problem to perform upgrade/update of qemu-kvm without shutting down
>> those running VMs.  However, in order to use the updated version of
>> the qemu-kvm, you will need to unload those loaded kvm-intel or
>> kvm-amd and kvm kernel modules.  Such unloading of modules will need
>> to shutdown all running VMs in order to successfully unload (rmmod)
>> those kernel modules.  After unloading, you can reload the updated
>> version by using modprobe or insmod after you have done depmod.
>
> Do Not Mess With Kernel Modules (tm).  There's no need to.

There is a need to :p

I learnt this due to test different version of qemu-kvm about
system_shutdown stop working for FreeBSD guest VM after 0.12.1 if I
remember correctly.  If I never done this, each test version I will
need to reboot once... so waste of time etc... ...

But I agreed in general about your "Do Not Mess With Kernel Modules

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon