Re: NIC limit

* linux_kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (linux_kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi again everybody,
>
> One of the admins at the ProxmoxVE project was gracious enough to
> quickly release a package including the previously discussed change to
> allow up to 32 NICs in qemu.

You mean they patched qemu to increase the MAX_NICS constant?  Nice to
get the quick turn around.

Te better choice is to use a newer command line.  Not only does it avoid
the MAX_NICS limitation, but it also enables standard virtio-net offload
accelerations.

> For future reference the .deb is here:
> ftp://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/lenny/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_0.12.5-2_amd64.deb
>
> Upon creating & running the VM with the newly patched qemu-kvm app
> installed, I found a NIC limitation remained in place, presumably
> imposed by some other aspect of the environment.
>
> The machine would start when it had 33 PCI devices, as long as no more
> than 28 of them were NICs.

The PCI bus has only 32 slots (devices), 3 taken by chipset + vga, and
a 4th if you have, for example, a virtio disk.  Are you sure these are
33 PCI devices and not 33 PCI functions?

thanks,
-chris