Re: cpu hotplug

[..]

> Lets establish some terminology to understand each other better:
> Lets use CPU inserted/ejected to refer to cpu being available/not
> available to a guest.
> Lest use CPU online/offline to refer to cpu been used by a guest OS.
>
> CPU hot-plug works like this:
>   cpu is inserted (plugged into cpu socket on MB)
>   guest OS is notifies through ACPI
>   guest OS starts to use newly added CPU (makes it online)
>
> CPU hot-unplug works like this:
>   guest OS is notifies through ACPI that cpu is going to be removed
>   guest OS stops to use cpu (makes it offline)
>   cpu is ejected (removed from a socket on MB) (kvm never does that part)
>
> So which part do you want to know about from a host?
>
> You can't really know from a host if cpu is used by guest OS (if it is
> online/offline in s guest in our terminology)
>
> inserted/ejected is management action (it can't be initiated by a
> guest), so you can keep track of it by yourself. KVM doesn't do it
> for you right now. More precisely it does, but doesn't have a way to
> quire it.

I need to know if a cpu is currently inserted or ejected.

I gather a cpu which is currently "inserted", may potentially be used by
a guest os. (Wether he actually uses a cpu, puts it online or offline,
isn't my concern).

The amount of time and number of cpus available to a guest is what I
like to keep track of.

Conrad