Re: cpu hotplug

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 09:46:21AM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 03:40:45PM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > halted state is not the way to check for whether cpu is online or
> > offline. cpu may be online but executing hlt instruction so
> > its state will be halted, but cpu itself is online. Actually with kvm
> > today you are not able to check that cpu is offline if it was ever
> > online. Query a guest for cpu status.
>
> In that regard, "info cpus" does seem to work - as it only shows me
> the cpus that have ever been online.  Ejecting a cpu in the guest does
> not remove it from "info cpus", but then, I don't think kvm does
> remove it from being available after an eject.

Exactly. That what I meant by "Actually with kvm today you are not able
to check that cpu is offline if it was ever online". So if cpu was never
online it is easy to check that it is offline (it will not be reported
by "info cpus"). But if it was inserted and then ejected it will still
be present in "info cpus", but not used by a guest OS.

--
			Gleb.