cpu hotplug

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into hotplugging CPUs.
This exclusively with linux-guests and linux-host.
I have found some (conflicting) information about this on the net.

As far as I read:
* seabios doesn't support SMP (but why does the linux-guest show
multiple cpus?)
* there is no uniform way of informing the linux kernel that a cpu has
added (Found references to a unisys way of doing it though, which seems
to be still implemented)
* the kernel needs the acpi tables to determine how many cpus it has,
thus the support in the bios would involve an aml-compiler to
hot-compile new acpi tables.

1) *If* I understood this right, wouldn't it be feasible to patch the
linux-kernel to forego the check on the acpi tables and read them
straight from a kvm provided area (even in a kvm-proprietary format?).
Then at least the aml-compiler wouldn't be necessary, or am I wrong
there?

2) Assuming I understood this right, I'd further assume, I could create
some sort of kernel event (udev) to initiate a cpu_starting event,
couldn't I?

Some feedback would be much appreciated ;)

Conrad