Re: cpu hotplug

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 04:07:50PM +0200, Conrad Wood wrote:
> 1) Thanks for clarifying "online" vs "halted" - that makes sense and is
> probably part of what confused me. I need to get the "online/offline"
> status of cpus, not if they are halted or not. I understand this is
> currently not possible with kvm. As I have no direct control over the
> guest OS, I do however need a solution on the host. Any clues how this
> could be implemented would be much appreciated.
> This is important to me.

I thought I read somewhere that kvm does not currently support taking
a cpu offline - the guest can only voluntarily stop using a cpu.
(Gleb would know better, but I think he was trying to say the same
thing.)

> 2) In my case, the cpus are ALWAYS reported as halted, regardless of the
> current state in the guest.
> After the guest booted, The "cpu infos" displays precisely the amount of
> cpus as initially set by the -smp parameter of kvm. (as halted).
> any additional cpus added later will be displayed, also as halted -
> again regardless whether or not the guest switches or had switched them
> to online. It is reported as "halted" even whilst the guest is running a
> cpu-hogger which would stop the cpu from halting.
> I don't mind so much about this cosmetic display problem ;)

I suppose one could check the host cpu usage of the thread reported in
"info cpus".

-Kevin