Re: [ANNOUNCE] qemu-kvm-0.13.0-rc1

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 05:59:45PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  On 09/12/2010 05:31 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> >>Oh, I thought you were against the idea in itself for some reason.
> >>
> >>I'll patch it for 0.13, but any ideas on how it should be rework
> >>for master?
> >
> >Glauber's old Accel interface was close to the right approach.  We
> >need to abstract the exec.c interfaces to use a function pointer
> >table and have a TCG and KVM implementation.  The function pointer
> >tables can then be registered by a module_init() and we can simply
> >not include the kvm or TCG files are build time to disable the
> >functionality.
>
> Yes, I remember it now.
>
> Glauber, can you bring those patches back from the land of the dead?
I could, but I myself was not entirely sure about the correct approach
in terms of granularity.

The first version was too fine grained, since I was hooking into every possible
kqemu operation, (the goal at the time was to take _that_ out, not tcg), and
then second version got too coarse, with we having to rewrite whole parts
of memory. Now that kqemu is gone, it surely gets easier...