Re: PCI Device Assignment status

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 04:38:00PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Also, I wanted to confirm that there is no limit in the maximun PCI cards that
> > could be given to a guest (like VMWare which only lets you give at most 2 cards
> > to a guest, if I'm not wrong) and which version of qemu-kvm/Linux kernel I need
> > for propper support.
>
> The only limit I'm aware of is the number of slots on a bus (32), a
> few of which are used by qemu emulated devices and can't be removed.

Great, so it shouldn't be a problem I guess =)

> Any of the 0.12 releases should work fine.  Also note that there are

Cool, thanks!

> also device and driver dependencies that can be far more subtle in
> whether the device can work with passthrough or not.  Things like
> whether it has device dependent registers in pci config space, if the
> driver expects specific capabilities at certain offsets, if it's a
> multi-function device that shares nvram and uses the function as an
> index offset, drivers that assume a bridge topology for a given
> vid/did, etc...   SR-IOV devices are designed for this, so should
> work, otherwise you might also post the cards you'd like to use and
> see if anyone has experience with them.

Ahh, I see. Thanks a lot for the information :)

I will need, for sure, at least this card:
http://www.dialogic.com/products/serial_protocol_adapters/Eiconcard_C_Series.htm?techspec=1&regID=4599

But I don't really know what the driver does. I will use it on QNX (yeah, I know
it wouldn't be hard real-time :)), so it's not the driver/software it says
there. It's this one, in case it matters/gives anyone some idea:
http://www.gandacar.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=89

I think that this card does almost everything in hardware and the driver only
does some communication (although I don't know how)

Have anyone used this card with passthrough or have some intuition if it should
work ? :)

Thanks a lot,
Rodrigo