Re: PCI Device Assignment status

2010/9/3 Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi!
>
> I wanted to know the status of PCI device assignment.
>
> As far as I can see in the webpage and in the mailing list, it seems to be
> working ok if you have VT-d support on the motherboard and cpu. But if it isn't
> too much trouble, I wanted some confirmation about this, since I'm not sure and
> I don't want to buy hardware to test this when there is no way it's going to
> work :)

It highly depends on what you want to passthrough...if it's some
well-known SR-IOV server NIC, then sure, it will probably work. If you
want to passthrough various PCI devices in a regular desktop system or
workstation, then forget it.

I've been playing that "various PCI devices in a regular desktop
system" game for the last 8 months on my HTPC. I've been running with
both stable versions of KVM as well as self-compiled versions from git
during this time. The tests I have performed were done on two
different VT-d capable boards (a Gigabyte EQ45M-S2 and a Intel
DQ57TM). I've tried to passthrough 2 PCI TV tuners (Hauppauge 500 +
Hauppauge 1300), 2 PCI USB 2.0 cards (can't remember the brands), 1
onboard USB controller (on a Gigabyte EQ45M-S2), and finally a PCI
Express USB 3.0 card (Asrock). The only device which works correctly,
is the Hauppauge 500 card. I bought the USB 3.0 card ONLY to see if it
would help with a PCI Express card instead of the regular PCI cards I
had tested...but no, it didn't change anything. In my tests the cards
"almost works" in some cases - eg. the card gets correctly initialized
in the guest and you can start to use it, but then you'll have timing
issues, driver crashes, client program crashes, etc. etc.

Right now I'm awaiting RHEL 6 to see if passthrough has been improved
here. If not, then as much as I would hate it, I'll switch back to
Xen...people could passthrough all kinds of weird PCI cards 5 years
ago with paravirtualization on Xen. Even though I see Xen as a dying
platform, at least it works.

Best Regards
Kenni