Re: [KVM-autotest] virtio_console test

On (Mon) Aug 23 2010 [15:20:17], Lukáš Doktor wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> Dne 23.8.2010 09:53, Amit Shah napsal(a):

> >This is great, thanks for the tests.
> >
> >I was working with Lucas at the KVM Forum to get my virtio-console tests
> >integrated upstream. I have a few micro tests that test correctness of
> >various bits in the virtio_console code:
> >
> >http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=amitshah/public_git/test-virtserial.git
>
> yes, I'm aware of your tests and the fedora page about
> virtio-console. I took an inspiration from them ;-) (thanks)
> >
> >It would be great to sync up with Lucas and add those tests to autotest
> >as well.
>
> I went through the code trying to find tests missing in our autotest
> virtio_console.py test. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the missing
> tests are:
>
> * variations on opening/writing/reading host/guest closed/open
> consoles and check the right handling

Mostly checking for the open/read/write/close semantics, poll(), a new
test that I added today for checking of blocking calls (read) in one
thread while doing write in another.

I actually want to add a lot more (and even convert existing ones) to
threads, since currently I can't guarantee that the guest commands are
processed before any subsequent host commands (this means threading in
the host, obviously).

> * guest caching (if necessarily)

Yes, guest caching isn't needed in the current code (they're kept around
from the previous code where we had such a thing).

> >Eventually, I'd also like to adapt the C code to python so that it
> >integrates with KVM-autotest.
>
> Yes, either you or I can do that. I would just need the
> test-requirement-list.

I'd much prefer someone else did it, as I'm not familiar with python
(yet).

I'll be willing to help you or whoever picks it up.

> >>Just a note about kernels:
> >>serialport works great but console have big issues. Use kernels>=
> >>2.6.35 for testing.
> >
> >Can you tell me what the issues are? I test console io in the testsuite
> >mentioned above and it's been passing fine.
>
> Sometimes on F13 there were Oops while booting guests with
> virtconsoles. Also the sysfs informations about virtconsoles were
> sometimes mismatched. With vanilla kernel 2.6.35 it worked better
> with occasional Oops while booting the guest.

I see. Can you give me any logs / oops messages / traces?

2.6.35 is the first kernel version to officially support the new
features and is complete barring a few fixes which I haven't pushed out
yet.

There's a chance that the F13 kernel doesn't have some fixes, but I did
backport all of them AFAIR.

> My colleague was working on that part so when he's back from holiday
> he can provide more information.

OK, let me know if you get more info.

Thanks,
		Amit