Re: [KVM-autotest] virtio_console test

Hi Amit,

Dne 23.8.2010 09:53, Amit Shah napsal(a):
On (Fri) Aug 20 2010 [16:12:51], Lukáš Doktor wrote:
Dne 20.8.2010 15:40, Lukas Doktor napsal(a):
Hi,

This patch adds new test for virtio_console. It supports booth, serialport and console, virtio_console types and it contains three tests:
1) smoke
2) loopback
3) perf

This is great, thanks for the tests.

I was working with Lucas at the KVM Forum to get my virtio-console tests
integrated upstream. I have a few micro tests that test correctness of
various bits in the virtio_console code:

http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=amitshah/public_git/test-virtserial.git

yes, I'm aware of your tests and the fedora page about virtio-console. I took an inspiration from them ;-) (thanks)

It would be great to sync up with Lucas and add those tests to autotest
as well.

I went through the code trying to find tests missing in our autotest virtio_console.py test. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the missing tests are:

* variations on opening/writing/reading host/guest closed/open consoles and check the right handling
* guest caching (if necessarily)

Eventually, I'd also like to adapt the C code to python so that it
integrates with KVM-autotest.

Yes, either you or I can do that. I would just need the test-requirement-list.
Just a note about kernels:
serialport works great but console have big issues. Use kernels>=
2.6.35 for testing.

Can you tell me what the issues are? I test console io in the testsuite
mentioned above and it's been passing fine.

Sometimes on F13 there were Oops while booting guests with virtconsoles. Also the sysfs informations about virtconsoles were sometimes mismatched. With vanilla kernel 2.6.35 it worked better with occasional Oops while booting the guest. My colleague was working on that part so when he's back from holiday he can provide more information.

With virtserialport it always worked correctly.
		Amit

Lukáš