Re: KVM Processor cache size

 On 08/03/2010 02:38 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Is there already a way to communicate from the target to the source? This would allow to check for migrate-ability before we transfer any data. Or should we handle this in a management application?

Since this is determined at startup time, it should be done by management. There's no point in starting a live migration that we know will fail.

Send the cpuid fields as part of migration state. Verify they match the local cpuid fields on the destination side. The destination can then reject the migration if it can't match those CPUID fields.

I agree with that, as a safety check.

Note it can be determined even earlier, if qemu warns/fails on masked features:

   qemu -cpu qemu64,+this,-that,strict

That's actually the only way to safely do it today because there's no way for a management application to query qemu and kvm for the fields that they'll mask out.

That needs to part of the qemu capabiltities megapatch. Supporting POPCNT isn't very different from supporting cache=unsafe from the management point of view.

signature is too narrow to contain.