Re: KVM on ps3-linux working?

(2010/07/12 17:00), Alexander Graf wrote:

On 12.07.2010, at 09:59, Takuya Yoshikawa wrote:

Are there any restrictions in KVM on ps3 linux?

Not really. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that ram is really limited. So make sure you have a lot of swap. In fact, I used to use a PS3 for development and testing quite a lot myself, so it definitely should work.

Thanks about the info. I could find ps-ubuntu help site, and am using fast swap + usual swap.
My distro is ubuntu server, sometimes xubuntu for desktop, and a lot of uneeded services are stopped.

So memory usage rate is quite reasonable now.

Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit userspace on the PS3? I remember having had issues with 64 bit userspace.

I'm using 64 bit. Userspace, you mean qemu?

I mean applications in general, but specifically qemu, yes.

Is it possible to use 32 bit qemu, cross compiled on somewhere else, on ps3 linux (64bit ppc)?

If you have the libraries - sure! Maybe you can even compile it directly on the ps3 with -m32.

It's just really unusual to see 64 bit userspace on ppc. What does "file /bin/ls" say? If it's really broken with 64 bit userspace, I'll try to debug a bit from my side too.

OK let me try. Ps3 box is in my home, so I'll check tonight!
  - Only I remember now is that I compiled qemu on ps3 linux WITHOUT -m32 .

Thanks a lot!

  Takuya