Re: [RFC 00/29] Introduce NVIDIA GPU Virtualization (vGPU) Support

I hope and expect the nova and vgpu_mgr efforts to ultimately converge.

First, for the fw ABI debacle: yes, it is unfortunate that we still don't
have a stable ABI from GSP.  We /are/ working on it, though there isn't
anything to show, yet.  FWIW, I expect the end result will be a much
simpler interface than what is there today, and a stable interface that
NVIDIA can guarantee.

But, for now, we have a timing problem like Jason described:

- We have customers eager for upstream vfio support in the near term,
  and that seems like something NVIDIA can develop/contribute/maintain in
  the near term, as an incremental step forward.

- Nova is still early in its development, relative to nouveau/nvkm.

- From NVIDIA's perspective, we're nervous about the backportability of
  rust-based components to enterprise kernels in the near term.

- The stable GSP ABI is not going to be ready in the near term.

I agree with what Dave said in one of the forks of this thread, in the context of
NV2080_CTRL_VGPU_MGR_INTERNAL_BOOTLOAD_GSP_VGPU_PLUGIN_TASK_PARAMS:

> The GSP firmware interfaces are not guaranteed stable. Exposing these
> interfaces outside the nvkm core is unacceptable, as otherwise we
> would have to adapt the whole kernel depending on the loaded firmware.
>
> You cannot use any nvidia sdk headers, these all have to be abstracted
> behind things that have no bearing on the API.

Agreed.  Though not infinitely scalable, and not
as clean as in rust, it seems possible to abstract
NV2080_CTRL_VGPU_MGR_INTERNAL_BOOTLOAD_GSP_VGPU_PLUGIN_TASK_PARAMS behind
a C-implemented abstraction layer in nvkm, at least for the short term.

Is there a potential compromise where vgpu_mgr starts its life with a
dependency on nvkm, and as things mature we migrate it to instead depend
on nova?