Re: [GIT PULL] KVM/riscv changes for 6.9

On 3/7/24 18:43, Sean Christopherson wrote:
E.g.
if this were to happen with a less trivial conflict, the other sub-maintainer would
be left doing a late scramble to figure things out just before sending their own
pull requests.

Nah, either I would fix it, or I would look at an older tree from linux-next and ask whether it's okay to use that one.

   tag kvm-riscv-6.9-1
   Tagger:     Anup Patel<anup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   TaggerDate: Thu Mar 7 11:54:34 2024 +0530

   commit d8c0831348e78fdaf67aa95070bae2ef8e819b05
   Author:     Anup Patel<apatel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   AuthorDate: Tue Feb 13 13:39:17 2024 +0530
   Commit:     Anup Patel<anup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   CommitDate: Wed Mar 6 20:53:44 2024 +0530

The other reason this caught my eye is that the conflict happened in common code,
but the added helper is RISC-V specific and used only from RISC-V code.  ARM does
have an identical helper, but AFAICT ARM's helper is only used from ARM code.

But the prototype of guest_get_vcpuid() is in common code.  Which isn't a huge
deal, but it's rather undesirable because there's no indication that its
implementation is arch-specific, and trying to use it in code built for s390 or
x86 (or MIPS or PPC, which are on the horizon), would fail.  I'm all for making
code common where possible, but going halfway and leaving a trap for other
architectures makes for a poor experience for developers.

I think it's okay if the _concept_ is reasonably arch-independent. In that case, the first who uses it from arch-independent tests has to implement it for s390 and x86, but having a function in common code makes it possible to use it from the partly-arch-dependent tests such as arch_timer.c or get-reg-list.c.

(Now - that is _not_ the case here, because the function is only used in the aarch64 and RISC-V specific parts of the tests, but still to me it makes sense to have the prototype there).

Paolo