Re: [GIT PULL] KVM/riscv changes for 6.9

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 11:13 PM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > - Ztso extension support for Guest/VM
> > - Zacas extension support for Guest/VM

> > Anup Patel (5):
> >       RISC-V: KVM: Forward SEED CSR access to user space
> >       RISC-V: KVM: Allow Ztso extension for Guest/VM
> >       KVM: riscv: selftests: Add Ztso extension to get-reg-list test
> >       RISC-V: KVM: Allow Zacas extension for Guest/VM
> >       KVM: riscv: selftests: Add Zacas extension to get-reg-list test
> >
> > Haibo Xu (11):
> >       KVM: arm64: selftests: Data type cleanup for arch_timer test
> >       KVM: arm64: selftests: Enable tuning of error margin in arch_timer test
> >       KVM: arm64: selftests: Split arch_timer test code
> >       KVM: selftests: Add CONFIG_64BIT definition for the build
> >       tools: riscv: Add header file csr.h
> >       tools: riscv: Add header file vdso/processor.h
> >       KVM: riscv: selftests: Switch to use macro from csr.h
> >       KVM: riscv: selftests: Add exception handling support
> >       KVM: riscv: selftests: Add guest helper to get vcpu id
>
> Uh, what's going on with this series?  Many of these were committed *yesterday*,
> but you sent a mail on February 12th[1] saying these were queued.  That's quite
> the lag.
>
> I don't intend to police the RISC-V tree, but this commit caused a conflict with
> kvm-x86/selftests[2].  It's a non-issue in this case because it's such a trivial
> conflict, and we're all quite lax with selftests, but sending a pull request ~12
> hours after pushing commits that clearly aren't fixes is a bit ridiciulous.  E.g.
> if this were to happen with a less trivial conflict, the other sub-maintainer would
> be left doing a late scramble to figure things out just before sending their own
> pull requests.
>
>   tag kvm-riscv-6.9-1
>   Tagger:     Anup Patel <anup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   TaggerDate: Thu Mar 7 11:54:34 2024 +0530

>   commit d8c0831348e78fdaf67aa95070bae2ef8e819b05
>   Author:     Anup Patel <apatel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   AuthorDate: Tue Feb 13 13:39:17 2024 +0530
>   Commit:     Anup Patel <anup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   CommitDate: Wed Mar 6 20:53:44 2024 +0530
>
> The other reason this caught my eye is that the conflict happened in common code,
> but the added helper is RISC-V specific and used only from RISC-V code.  ARM does
> have an identical helper, but AFAICT ARM's helper is only used from ARM code.
>
> But the prototype of guest_get_vcpuid() is in common code.  Which isn't a huge
> deal, but it's rather undesirable because there's no indication that its
> implementation is arch-specific, and trying to use it in code built for s390 or
> x86 (or MIPS or PPC, which are on the horizon), would fail.  I'm all for making
> code common where possible, but going halfway and leaving a trap for other
> architectures makes for a poor experience for developers.
>
> And again, this showing up _so_ late means it's unnecessarily difficult to clean
> things up.  Which is kinda the whole point of getting thing into linux-next, so
> that folks that weren't involved in the original patch/series can react if there

Sorry for the last minute conflict.

In all release cycles, the riscv_kvm_queue freezes by rc6 and riscv_kvm_next
is updated at least a week before sending PR.

In this case there was a crucial last minute bug found in RISC-V arch_timer
selftest patches due to which the get-reg-list selftest was broken so I
updated the offending commits in the queue itself before sending out PR.

I will definitely try my best to avoid such last minute conflict.

Regards,
Anup