Re: Call for GSoC/Outreachy internship project ideas

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 8:34 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Eugenio,
> Stefano Garzarella and I had a SVQ-related project idea that I have added:
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2024#vhost-user_memory_isolation
>
> We want to support vhost-user devices without exposing guest RAM. This
> is attractive for security reasons in vhost-user-vsock where a process
> that connects multiple guests should not give access to other guests'
> RAM in the case of a security bug. It is also useful on host platforms
> where guest RAM cannot be shared (we think this is the case on macOS
> Hypervisor.framework).
>
> Please let us know if you have any thoughts about sharing/refactoring
> the SVQ code.

I'm totally in, sure :).

Actually I've been thinking about adding multithreading to SVQ. Since
SVQ reuses a lot of code from the emulated devices in virtio.c, it
would be great to add multithread to net devices too.

On the other hand, I've not added indirect descriptor support because
SVQ does not copy buffer memory by default, and there was little
benefit because HW does not like indirections. It seems to me that
reuse for your proposal would enable a justification to finally add
it.

Looking forward to this project, and I'd be happy to help it for sure. Thanks!