Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] COCONUT Secure VM Service Module for SEV-SNP

Hi Claudio,

On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 12:51:17PM -0400, Claudio Carvalho wrote:
> Thanks. I would be happy to collaborate in that discussion.

Great, I will send out that email early next week to get the discussion
rolling.

> I think the crypto support requires more design discussion since it is required
> in multiple places.
>
> The experience I've had adding SVSM-vTPM support is that the SVSM needs crypto
> for requesting an attestation report (SNP_GUEST_REQUEST messages sent to the
> security processor PSP have to be encrypted with AES_GCM) and the vTPM also
> needs crypto for the TPM crypto operations. We could just duplicate the crypto
> library, or find a way to share it (e.g. vdso approach).
>
> For the SVSM, it would be rust code talking to the crypto library; for the vTPM
> it would be the vTPM (most likely an existing C implementation) talking to the
> crypto library.

Right, where to place and how to share the crypto code needs more
discussion, there are multiple possible approaches. I have seen that you
have a talk at KVM Forum, so we can meet there in a larger group and
discuss those and other questions in person.

I think from this thread and other discussions happening it became clear
that there are currently a lot of different opinions on what the SVSM
should do and how it should look like. It would be great if we as a
community can get closer together on those questions (which is certainly
helpful for combining efforts).

Regards,

--
Jörg Rödel
jroedel@xxxxxxx

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Frankenstraße 146
90461 Nürnberg
Germany

(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman