Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] COCONUT Secure VM Service Module for SEV-SNP

* Jörg Rödel (jroedel@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 03:06:19PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > Interesting; it would have been nice to have known about this a little
> > earlier, some people have been working on stuff built on top of the AMD
> > one for a while.
>
> Sorry for that, we wanted to have it in a state where it could at least
> boot an SMP Linux guest. It took us some more time to get the
> foundations right and get to that point.
>
> > You mention two things that I wonder how they interact:
> >
> >   a) TPMs in the future at a higher ring
> >   b) Making (almost) unmodified guests
> >
> > What interface do you expect the guest to see from the TPM - would it
> > look like an existing TPM hardware interface or would you need some
> > changes?
>
> For a) without b) the guest interface will be the SVSM TPM protocol. The
> ring-0 code will forward any request to the TPM process and return to
> the guest when it is done.
>
> For b), or the paravisor mode, this is the vision, which is probably
> more than a year out. The idea behind that is to be able to emulate what
> Hyper-V is doing to boot Windows guests under SEV-SNP on an open source
> SW stack.
>
> How the TPM interface will look like for that paravisor mode is not
> clear yet. In theory we can emulate a real TPM interface to make this
> work, but that is not sure yet.

OK, I'm just trying to avoid having guests that have a zillion different
TPM setups for different SVSM and clouds.

Timing is a little tricky here; in many ways the thing that sounds
nicest to me about Coconut is the mostly-unmodified guest (b) - but if
that's a while out then hmm.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK