Re: Shadow page table questions

On 03/11/2010 02:06 AM, Marek Olszewski wrote:
Thanks for the response. I've looked through the code some more and think I have figured it out now. I finally see that the root_hpa variable gets switched before entering the guest in mmu_alloc_roots, to correspond with the new cr3. Thanks again.

Perhaps you can help me with one more question. I was hoping to try out a certain change for a research project. I would like to "privatize" kvm_mmu_page's and their spe's for each guest thread running in certain designated guest processes. The goal is to give each thread its own shadow page table graphs that map the same guest logical addresses to guest physical addresses (with some changes to be introduced later). Are there any assumptions that KVM makes that will break if I do something like this? I understand that I will have to add some code throughout the mmu to make sure that these structures are synchronized when a guest thread makes a change, but I'm wondering if there is anything else. Does the reverse mapping data structure you have assume that there is only one shadow page per guest page?

It doesn't, and there are often multiple shadow pages per guest page, distinguished by their sp->role field.