Re: KVM usability

On 03/09/2010 11:11 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/09/2010 04:57 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/09/2010 08:52 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/09/2010 04:50 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
It's all in the openSUSE build service. The direct access URL (login required FWIW) is here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=kvm-qemu-default-memsize.patch&package=kvm&project=Virtualization

It merely changes DEFAULT_RAM_SIZE in vl.c from 128 to 384 for the "kvm" package.

We should attempt to do three things with default ram size:

1) bump it up to a more reasonable number
2) make it specified in the global default config
3) make sure we can provide compatibility support for older machine types

It's really sad, the amount of code needed to change a number.

We don't do enough via a config. If we did, we could just have a 0.12 config version that got frozen over time.

So really, if we can make the mem readable by global config, and we can have machine specific configs, it would simplify the problem in the future so that we just had to bump a number.

Perhaps a json representation of things.  We already have the parser.

Please no :-)

We have a config format, QemuOpts ties nicely into it as does qdev. We just need to represent machine information via QemuOpts and tie -m to manipulating the memory assigned to a machine. IOW, instead of:

(machine_init)(ram_addr_t ram_size,
                        const char *boot_device,
                        const char *kernel_filename,
                        const char *kernel_cmdline,
                        const char *initrd_filename,
                        const char *cpu_model)

It should be:

(machine_init)(QemuOpts *opts);

Then we can have a [machine] section in the config where we describe all of these things.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori