IVSHMEM and limits on shared memory

Hi Cam,

I used your patches successfully to support shared memory on KVM and
used the test cases successfully, but qemu-kvm crashes when I increased the
size of the shared memory.  I
applied the ivshmem patch to qemu-kvm-0.12.3 (some manual patching was
needed).  It worked flawlessly for
up to 128MB of shared memory on my system. I am running on a machine with 64GB
memory running opensuse (kernel 2.6.27) on AMD opteron.

Qemu crashes  with
smp=4 and the shared memory requested in 256MB, (512MB with smp=1), even though
the shared memory file is created. I debugged the problem and it seems that
some memory corruptions happens.

It crashes in the subpage_register for rtl8139 pci driver!,
tracked back to rtl8139_mmio_map. The problem starts with corrupted value in
the config field in the struct for the rtl8139 driver. At offset 20 of this
field the address should indicate that the address is uninitialized at that
time of crash, but surprisingly the value changes over the course of execution
and gets the SIZE of the shared memory allocated (related to ivshmem). I failed
to identify what changes/corrupts that field. I tried some padding for
allocation but the field always gets updated with the size of the shared memory
in a very consistent way.

Do you have clue what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

-Khaled