Re: KVM ivshmem enquiry

Hi Khaled,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Khaled Ibrahim <kzm98@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cam,I am interested in the shared memory support you developed on
>  KVM, but the whole process is not very clear to me. I patched the kernel on the
>  guest OSs and used the samples codes found in http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13328.html, but the applications fails in mmap.
>
>  I have not done anything at booting the guest OS, and I am using vanilla qemu-kvm. I guest I am missing something for initialization.
>
>  Do I need to patch qemu/kvm also? Where can I find the most recent ivshmem patches for the guest kernel and kvm if applicable. What is the proper way to start the guest OS to enable shared memory?

You need two patches, one for qemu and one of the linux kernel.  The
linux kernel patch is just a driver, so you could compile it
separately (you don't need to re-compile the whole kernel).  I will
send two patches soon, one is for qemu-kvm and the other is the
driver.

Once you have patches and compiled qemu-kvm, you need to add a
command-line argument

-ivshmem <size>,<name>

where <size> is the size in MB of the POSIX shared object you want to
create and <name> is the name to use for it (not a full path).  After
you start kvm with this command-line argument,  a file will be created
at /dev/shm/<name> of the size you specify.

>  If you have developed a documentation or a complete working example, please refer me to it.

Documentation is scarce at this point as the implementation is still
under development, but feel free to ask any questions you have via
email.

I do have a set of sample code and OS init scripts (to create the
device file in the guest) here:

http://www.gitorious.org/nahanni/

Cheers,
Cam