KVM ivshmem enquiry

Cam,I am interested in the shared memory support you developed on
 KVM, but the whole process is not very clear to me. I patched the kernel on the
 guest OSs and used the samples codes found in http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13328.html, but the applications fails in mmap.

 I have not done anything at booting the guest OS, and I am using vanilla qemu-kvm. I guest I am missing something for initialization.

 Do I need to patch qemu/kvm also? Where can I find the most recent ivshmem patches for the guest kernel and kvm if applicable. What is the proper way to start the guest OS to enable shared memory?

 If you have developed a documentation or a complete working example, please refer me to it.

 I appreciate your help.

 Thank you,

 -Khaled