Re: KVM PMU virtualization

On 02/26/2010 04:07 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
On 02/26/10 14:27, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Jes Sorensen<Jes.Sorensen@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
You certainly cannot emulate the Core2 on a P4. The Core2 is Perfmon v2,
whereas Nehalem and Atom are v3 if I remember correctly. [...]

Of course you can emulate a good portion of it, as long as there's perf
support on the host side for P4.

Actually P4 is pretty uninteresting in this discussion due to the lack
of VMX support, it's the same issue for Nehalem vs Core2. The problem
is the same though, we cannot tell the guest that yes P4 has this
event, but no, we are going to feed you bogus data.

The Pentium D which is a P4 derivative has vmx support. However it is so slow I'm fine with ignoring it for this feature.