Re: Nested SVM and migration

On 02/22/2010 06:56 PM, Zachary Amsden wrote:

In the SVM case this still leaves the problem that the MSR bitmap must
be read again from guests memory on unfreeze but that is not a real
problem.

This is easily solved by shadowing the MSR bitmap. Too bad we have to do it, but at least the state isn't hidden in a non-extractable field inside the processor.

We could write-protect the bitmaps and shadow them lazily when changed (which should be never; also improves vmentry time). Write protecting is bad since it breaks up large pages, but is necessary for exposing npt to the guest, which is needed for reasonable performance, so we may as well do it.