Re: Migration VMWare Server -> KVM

On Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 17:20:19, Thomas Beinicke wrote:

> Does anyone has experience in with the migration process? As soon as I try to
> boot it I get a bluescreen (probably related to the block IO driver used).

I successfully migrated a Windows Vista x64 VM from VMWare Server to
KVM. In VMWare, the VM used LSI SAS controller, but I couldn't get the
Qemu's LSI controller to work at all (the install DVD was forever
stuck on the loading screen), so the VM now uses IDE controller - I
just had to do a boot repair from the DVD to get Vista to boot again.

However, if you're migrating older versions of Windows, I'd expect
more problems, as Vista and newer changed the boot process
significantly.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

The more an item costs, the farther you have to send it for repairs.
       -- Goodman's Law of Value