Re: Migration VMWare Server -> KVM

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Thomas Beinicke
<thomas.beinicke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to migrate lots of VMWare server VMs to KVM. The linux machines
> are not much of a problem but the windows machines cause me some headaches.
>
> Does anyone has experience in with the migration process? As soon as I try to
> boot it I get a bluescreen (probably related to the block IO driver used).
>
> AFAIK VMware uses an LSI Logic driver in their VMs.
>
> I have tried with "if=scsi" as well as IDE.
>
> Anyone has any howto or hints on how to accomplish that or am I totally
> wasting my time?
>
> regards,
>
> Thomas

I actually just started tinkering with this yesterday myself. For the
Windows hosts you will need to boot them inside of VMWare and remove
VMWare Tools. Then go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us
and create the registry update file that Microsoft has at the bottom.
Load that into your VM and then power it down. You can either use
virt-convert && virt-image to do the conversion or use Ubuntu's
vmware2libvirt script at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-virt/virt-goodies/trunk/files

So far it appears to work. Some gotchas are virt-convert && virt-image
(from virtinst-0.500.1) will set the wrong arch pretty much
universally so you will need to make sure to pass a -a argument and
set the arch by hand. vmware2libvirt will use the direct vmdk file
which performs quite poorly, you should convert the file to raw.
Additionally vmware2libvirt will explicitly configure the image to
only allow graphics connections from localhost so you need to remove
this if you're not using localhost.

--
Doug Goldstein