Re: Advice for Router Guest

On Tue January 12 2010, Aaron Clausen wrote:
> I'm looking at moving from the router I'm running currently (a Linux
> box) and moving it into a KVM guest.  What are the recommendations for
> the networking of the external interface?  Should I just pass the NIC
> card through via PCI passthrough or is there a recommended way?

If your board dosn't have VT-d or AMD IOMMU, you can't use passthrough
afaik. Or at the very least, you don't want to. I'm not sure if modern nics
will even run without DMA.

If you're stuck without passthrough, you'll have to do what I did, and setup
some bridges under the host, and use bridged tun/tap networking with the
guests.

Performance is decent, but I've found my firewall guest will peg its cpu if
my WAN load is too high, of course my firewall is running pfSense, and has
to stick with an emulated nic, so that's probably why the cpu load is so
high.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx